Friday, March 9, 2012

Our view

We wondered how God would combine our desire to be in the city and our love for Asia.
Now we're beginning to catch a glimpse. 
As I sit here, I can hear the din of hundreds of scooters zooming by on the roads outside my 16th story apartment.  If I glance out the window, I can see buildings and skyscrapers until the smog covers up my view and I can't see past the thousands of lights that represent some of the 2 million people here.  It's crazy city life and most of them are living in deep darkness.  The other night around three a.m. I was awakened by the sudden boom of fireworks literally right outside my window.  Daniel says it was probably from across the street where the hospital is and someone had probably died there.  I laid back down wondering if they were spending eternity in hell or not.  Given the statistics here, chances are not likely that they knew anything about the one True God.  And the thing that totally stinks right now...beside the sewers...is that I can't communicate a word of the Gospel to anyone on the streets.  
This gives just a glimpse into my heart struggles.  Also, it gives me a glimmer of the reason we have any hope at all for any kind of situation: Christ died and rose again.  It's the core of the Gospel and we can't get an inch away from it or we miss it all together. No amount of work or language learning can save anyone because Christ has already completed the work.  It gives joy in the midst of darkness. 
Here's a panoramic from one balcony: 




And the panoramic from the other balcony.  We're loving the fact our apartment is in the corner because it gives us two balconies to enjoy! 



Yep, those are mountains in the wild smog yonder....
King of Heaven, please grow our hearts!


3 comments:

  1. It makes me happy to hear from you all. Am still praying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really enjoying your blog and getting to see pictures and comments about your life in Asia. Thanks for thinking of us and sharing about the work God has laid out for you to do.
    I love you all! Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog was certainly hard to find. It took two days. I looked for Stinky Tofu and Google could not find you. Then I looked for Daniel Vanderhorst or Kim Vanderhorst on Facebook because Sarah said, "It's on Facebook." no one of that name. Then I looked at my friends' list and found you two there. We need to have this come into our Inbox, but I don't think I have a Google account, unless that means gmail. I will try that.
    It was lovely seeing these sights on Skype with you last evening. Jim and Marilee saw all Vanderhorsts in town here and three in Taiwan. A pretty comprehensive vista in less than 24 hours.

    ReplyDelete