Wednesday, March 21, 2012

the short mop

Lots of things in Taiwan are made for the average-height-Taiwanese. 
Our apartment is one of them.
Unfortunately, I don't fit well into that category. I pretty much tower above all the women here.  Not boasting about it, but not ashamed of it either. 
However, it does become humorous when you live in a Taiwanese-sized apartment. 
I'm constantly banging my head on the over-head fan above the stove. 
I practically bend over to do the dishes. 
My arms hit the ceiling when I wash my hair in the shower. 
Perhaps the most fun I have is trying to keep the floors clean.  Our first broom (which came with the apartment) threatened to turn me into a hunchback.  One of my first purchases here was one I could use while not on my knees. (Gave the first one to Siah.  Fits him well.) 
My mop is a different story.  It's a Taiwanese-size wanna be. The handle, when fully extended, is exactly the right length for scrubbing the floors without breaking my back. However, whatever you call the thing that tightens it into that position doesn't work.  So, as I mop, it constantly shortens and I lunge forward in response.  Slippery, wet floors and persnickety mop handles are a recipe for adventure! 
I try to mop at night so Siah doesn't track through the wet.  But I fear waking him with all the laughter that ensues when I mop these floors!  
The wanna-be mop

2 comments:

  1. Duct Tape? Maybe we should send a roll.... Or it could be another great adventure in Taiwan...

    ReplyDelete